Monday, March 21, 2005

George Lucas

A quote from Mr. Lucas: "That's not my job, to make people like my movies. They either like them or they don't. That's completely out of my hands."

That’s not his job?? So what is his job? Self-indulgent and arrogant filmmaking to please himself?

I'm one of the embittered fans of the first Star Wars (er, I guess I mean, second, chronologically) trilogy. And I fear for the third installment, though the fan in me still hopes.

If I could stand it, I would watch Attack of the Clones again, if only to use this blog to purge my anger at the dreadful destruction of the Amidala/Anakin romance.

1 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Jimski said...

So what is his job? Self-indulgent and arrogant filmmaking to please himself?

Well... hmmm. Maybe.

This is something I wrestle with every time I hear something like this, always from Lucas. I can't decide whether to slap him or applaud. (So, as long as my hands are hitting something, I guess that's all that matters.) Is the artist supposed to entertain you or express him/herself? If it's his money, and he's getting out what he has in him, who the hell am I to whine about his ewoks? Then again, if he doesn't care what I think of it, why is he making me look at it? Why not keep it in a drawer?

Maybe we're just wounded that he's getting out what he has in him, and what he has in him is Jar Jar.
Or maybe we want the world we see at thirty to make us feel like it did when we were five, and when it doesn't we blame the messenger. I don't know how long it's been since you paid any real adult attention to Han and Leia's "romance" but, to use the language of literary criticism, it sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home